Straight Outta Uxbridge

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Phuket with Franz

After a nerve-wracking drive from the airport by a taxi driver who stopped half way to neck half a bottle of pills, we eventually made it to our place in Phuket without being killed. Situated in the south of the island, away from the filth and seediness of Patong, our place in Ao Chalong was a real haven of tranquility and had a first class restaurant.

That night, I got chatting to a German called Franz who said he was going diving the next day. After nearly 8 days without a break, Kerri unsubtley suggested that I should go with him. She would have plenty to do, top of her list was some horse riding she had seen advertised.

So off I went with Franz, who proved quite amusing - for a German, but had clearly studied Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure as part of his English lessons. Franz, in his own efficient way, had decided to bring all his own dive gear with him. This probably seemed like a good idea back in Hamburg, but as I casually stood on the gently bobbing deck, wearing a 3mm "shorty" wetsuit and waiting for the first group to take the plunge, I couldn't help a silent chuckle as Franz stood there in 34 degree heat, wearing a full cold water, semi-dry suit resplendent with hood, gloves and boots.

As 5 minutes turned to 10, Franz was starting to turn lobster red and could take no more. He barged his way to the jump platform and announced "I need to get in ze vater NOW!". However, the look that greeted him from the bewildered Thai chap coordinating the jumps did little to improve his mood and without further a do, Franz backed into the side of the boat and promptly rolled off.

I had shuffled onto the platform by now and, barely able to contain my laughter called down to him "Is that better now Franz?"

"Awesome dude" came the reply!

Germans, you have to love them!

Anyway, the 3 dives were superb and I got back into the groove with no problems (except for that Sea Urchin). Upon my return I went and found Kerri, eager to see what adventures she had been on that day only to discover that the sum of her days activity had consisted of reading a book by the pool, and working her way through the menu. Still, that's OK, we're on holiday!!!!

2 Comments:

  • i love this idea of blogs, its good to hear your adventures brings back memeories for me. Continue having a great time and make sure your back for my stag!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/2/06 19:32  

  • I'm imagining Franz as a very large 'Scuba Action Man'. Did he have a thingy at the back of his head that made his eyes move? Hoping to see some photo evidence soon....... xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/2/06 21:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home